Monday, January 24, 2011

Recycle, Compost or Landfill.... formerly know as just "trash"

The environmentalist in me loves the way trash is handled in Seattle. Instead of what I'm used to in Baltimore: Tuesday Trash and Thursday Recycle & think nothing more about it, Seattle takes a whole new perspective on trash. They charge the heck out of you for filling up the landfill, compost/yard waste is less expensive and recycling is free.

Each house in the city of Seattle is provide a trashcan from the city. You decide on the size; there are five options: 96-gallon is the largest and 12-gallon is the smallest. The city will then empty the trashcan once a week and charge you, based on can-size, on your monthly utility bill. The 96-gallon trashcan is $79.20 per month! That comes out to almost $1000/year. Compost/yard waste is similar, but less expensive. That 96-gallon container of yard waste and compost is only $8.35 per month, practically 10% of the cost of trash. And a 96-gallon container for recycling is free of charge. Composting is great. We can put in all food scraps, including meats, bones, vegetable waste, soiled napkins & paper towels as well as basic yard waste such as leaves and weeds.

So, our landlord has opted for the 12-gallon micro trashcan for $16.55/month. This is great, really it is. To fill up a tiny box of trash each week instead of the mega containers we're used to in Baltimore is a wonderful goal and something our grandchildren will thank us for. And, my family of four, if we're careful and diligent, can actually meet this goal. The problem is we are not the only residents in the household. Our house has a three-bedroom apartment in the basement with three college students. And, there is a preschool with 14 children and two teachers that also contribute to our 12-gallon trashcan. Twelve gallons. That is smaller than ONE of the eight Christmas decoration tubs my dad has in his basement. So, every Monday morning, my husband is trying to stuff our trash in the tiny little mirowave-sized trashbox (at only 12 gallons, it's a box-shaped, not even can-shaped). Unsuccessful, Noah then has to look in other people's trashcans to fit any remaining bags. Fun times.

Today, other than watching the trash truck squeeze it's way through the alley, then the compost truck, then the recycling truck, Jonah and I visited the Petosa Accordion store/factory. Dad is a big fan and customer of their accordions. Jonah was very interested in all the different squeeze boxes, but of course most of my time was telling him, "no, Jonah, no touching." The shop was a bit quiet on a Monday morning. We then went to a park, checked out a community garden and came home for a good nap.
Jonah fascinated by a spinny chair at the Petosa factory

Jonah looking cool at the toddler playground


I made a chicken with an orange-ginger reduction sauce (one of my best so far). I'm practicing the art of deglazing. I even hesitate to call it an art because it is so easy to make wonderful sauces. I have no idea why I have never done it before. I seriously think it is one of the best kept secrets of cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, man, it sucks sneaking around stealing garbage can space at 7am in the dark alley. I feel like such a criminal.

    ReplyDelete