Sunday, January 23, 2011

No longer tourists

Sunday is the day that we often go to the Ballard farmer's market. This is a year round farmers market in the hip neighborhood of Ballard. Most tourists don't know about it, but in many ways, it is a lot more fun. The market is full of local crafts, local farmers selling seasonal fruits (not many this time of year), vegetables and meats, bakers. The kids like the entertainment, dogs - which there are many - and the samples.  Today there was a lot of musicians; they aren't the weird ones downtown, but mostly college-aged kids playing guitar and singing, probably hoping to be the Seattle sensation.
Ballard farmers market


Noah bought a duck today. I made it clear that he was going to cook the duck because I don't do whole birds yet. Noah is happy to be the duck chef this week. The unfortunate thing is that the farmers don't take credit card and Noah had to use all of my cash to pay for the duck. Noah never seems to have cash. I don't understand why. Whenever he gets cash, he always spends it. It's as if he likes using the cash, so if he has it, he'd rather pay using cash. The thought of "saving" his cash for when he really needs it just never occurs to him. Me, on the other hand, I value a cash transaction at a premium. What if I need to take a bus? What about paying a babysitter? What about the farmers market? What about the community center family nights? What about money for Genna's field trips? These are all things that require cash, so it's important to always have some. The burden of having cash always seems to land on me. So, this time we paid for the duck and we didn't have any cash to buy lunch, apples, or some jams that I really wanted. And of course there were no ATMs around. So, we had to leave and go to a place that takes credit card for lunch. We actually went to three places because I was being indecisive.
Jonah figuring out how to get out of the yard. Not good.


Once again the weather played a mean trick on me. Our forecast of partly sunny skies changed to chance of rain and overcast skies. My plans of going to Carkeek park to view the Olympic mountains and look for balk eagles are postposted to the next partly sunny day. Whenever that will be. At least we're not living in Ohio where it's currently 10 degrees, as my dad informed me. I even saw some flower bulbs trying to emerge from the soil today. Not sure what type they are, but we'll see in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I understand the value of cash. I just never go to the ATM.

    ReplyDelete