Sunday, July 3, 2011

Will these kids ever tire of playgrounds?

Well, once again we were in our sweaters, but that didn't hold us back from going outside. I planned on starting the day off at the zoo, but after we parked the car, the kids spotted a playground and were suddenly more interested in the playground than the zoo. So we spend about 45 minutes at the playground. Genna spent most of the time on the monkey bars and Jonah went running up and down the spiral walkway. The biggest problem that Genna has now with monkey bars is that her hands get slippery, so without the hand-chalk at the gym, Genna has discovered if she rubs dirt and mulch in her hands, she'll get the same effect as chalk - however her hands get much dirtier. I'll have to remember to buy some gymnastics chalk and keep it in the car to reduce dirty hands and clothes.

The last time that Genna was running up the steps to the monkey bars, she slipped and fell on a step, and now has a huge bruise on her cheek. It really looks awful. I felt really bad when it happened, but in about fifteen minutes she seemed fine and almost completely forgot about.

Jonah got a hold of my camera this morning; these are my pants

Jonah then gave the camera to Genna. Thanks, Genna, for taking such a flattering picture of me.

Boxes provide hours of play

Jonah, in his sweater, running around at the playground

Note the boy behind Genna is wearing gloves! This is July - does it ever warm up here?

Genna's bruise on her cheek. This afternoon it started turning purple.
After we left the playground, I was able to convince the kids to go to the zoo. Of course the first place they wanted to go was the indoor playground at the zoo. So, we went there for a while and then we saw the dinosaurs (robotic), the penguins, and some chimps. As we were leaving Genna got upset that she only got to see two animals at the zoo. I didn't bother to explain to her that reason she only got to see two animals was because every time I tried to get them to go either in the zoo or in the exhibit areas, she kept begging for more time at the playgrounds. I'm hoping she'll eventually learn that on her own.
The dino exhibit was really cool. Last time we tried to go, Jonah took two steps and then started screaming and crying; he was obviously afraid of the dinosaurs. And, they were pretty lifelike. They moved their heads and tails and roared. I think that sitting next to Genna in the double stroller really helped him a lot. He even said "Jonah not scared," and then screamed a giant ROAAAR back at the dinosaur.

I can definitely see how this would be scary to a two-year-old (this critter was about six feet high)

Photo op at the gift shop
The kids had a blast playing with the toys at the gift shop - I'm just glad they didn't break any

Genna playing on the orangutan sculpture.
After lunch, Noah and Jonah took a nap and Genna and I went to (another) playground and then walked to the mall. Just as Genna and I were getting home from our walk in the late afternoon, we were finally warm enough to take off our sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment