Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gloomy again, mostly

I was in the car today and was in the mood for complaining. Big-time complaining. I wasn't necessarily angry at anyone or anything specific, I just like to save up and compartmentalize all of my complaints and then let them all out at once; I'm sure Noah would say this attribute is one of the top ten reasons why he married me. Fortunately, Noah was in the car with me and he could listen to my complaining. I'm not sure why, but it's not very satisfyng complaining to the kids. Even though the receiver of my complaining really just has to sit there and say, "yes....you're right....I know..." It's far more satisfying to complain to an adult rather than a toddler and a 4-year old.  

Then, in mid-complaint, something happened - the sun peaked through a small opening in the clouds, and for about four minutes the sun was shining. I'm not sure if it was just the excitement of the sun, but I suddenly felt better about everything. My mood instantly improved. I've heard of people who receive light therapy to ward off depression, and maybe there's really something to that. I wonder how many Seattleites are like me - mildly grumpy when the weather is foul. It certainly doesn't seem like there are many similar to me here. I actually find most people here chipper and upbeat. Driving is much more pleasant here than on the East Coast. I still can't get used cars giving me a little room on the road when I turn on my blinker. In Baltimore, the blinker is a signal for the surrounding cars to speed up and make changing lanes as difficult as possible. In any case, if Noah comes home with a 200 watt lightbulb in a little box for me to put my head in, I know that he's had enough of my complaining for the day. 
We hit the 20,000 milestone in the minivan. We brought this vehicle home 2 years ago (almost to the day!). If we look hard enough, there's probably a few crumbs of goldfish or cheez-its in the kid's seats from its inaugural trip. 

I made hummus for the first time in my food processor. The consistency is quite different than when I make it in the VitaMix. Or, it could be my proportions. I'm not exactly careful when it comes to measuring ingredients for hummus. 

This is Albert, he's the 20-year old cat that we're watching for or landlord. He's a sweet little thing, albeit geriatric. 


2 comments:

  1. What the heck does Albert have there on the floor? Looks like a dead mouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kinda right. It was Albert's birthday present - a mouse with some feathers on the end to "play" with him. But, since he's 20 years old, he really doesn't play much.

    ReplyDelete