I'm always a bit cautious about what I post on my blog. I follow the basic Internet safety rules about not posting too much personal information about address, phone number, when I'll be out of town, etc. In fact, I don't even like when Noah's voicemail message at work states that he'll be "out of town." I google-searched my name and my blog doesn't show up on the first couple of pages of results - not sure if that is good or bad. And, since I'll probably be looking for a job when I return to Baltimore, I always have to keep in mind that a potential employer may read my blog as well.
That said, I think I'll take a risk today and reflect on a very relevant subject to our lives, but it may not be appropriate for all audiences. So, please stop reading if you are not allowed to watch PG-13 movies.
We've started potty training Jonah. I know it's a rite of passage for both parents and child, but there are simply some things that I'd outsource if I could. In many circles there's a belief that cloth diapers result in babies being potty trained earlier because they are less comfortable when they are dirty. Contemporary diapers are so good at absorbing that kids have no incentive to "hold it." So, I've been using the cloth diapers A LOT lately. And, I have to agree, Jonah tends to hold his pee-pee when he's in his cloth diapers. If I was diligent about putting him on his little potty every hour or so, he probably would have a dry diaper all day long. In fact, he often tells me when he wants to use the potty. Keep in mind that "tells me" for Jonah means saying something not quite comprehendible in English and then leading me to the bathroom.
Number Two for Jonah is a different story. He seems perfectly happy to soil his cloth diapers. In fact, he's starting to have this little routine where he plays with his trains, then gets very still, then gets "the look" on his face. What's weird is that he'll frequently toot on the potty. In fact, he's often sat down on his little Baby Bjorn potty, lets out a big toot, stands up, points at his potty, and says proudly, "TOOT!" So, he'll pee-pee and toot on the potty, but prefers to poop in a diaper. This is always most frustrating to mommy the day after he has an entire pint of blueberries. I'm now severely limiting his blueberry intake because I've learned that he doesn't chew them. He swallows many of them whole. How do I know this? Think about it.
So, other than spending the day washing out diapers (did I mention that we share a wash machine with three college boys?), we did our traditional Monday morning Goodwill shopping this morning. Noah and Genna were able to join Jonah and I today because of the holiday. It was quite the family outing. Genna found a kid's trampoline. Once she saw it, there was no way we were going to be able to leave the store without it - at least not without a devastated little girl. And at only six dollars, it's a good way to let Genna practice some of her gymnastics at home. We had to explain to her that there's no way we can bring the trampoline back to Baltimore with us (won't fit in the minivan), but I think if we prepare her for that she'll be okay with it. So, if anyone in Seattle is looking for a kids trampoline, check the Ballard Goodwill in August.
 |
| Noah's improving on his latte art |
 |
| We decided to let the kids watch Blues Clues so Mommy & Daddy could enjoy a quiet dinner. Not something I'm proud of, but sometimes we just need to pacify the kids. |
 |
| Jonah loves to feed the cats. |
 |
| He's very serious about it. |
 |
| He doesn't look too girly in Genna's little collard white onesie, does he? |
No comments:
Post a Comment