I made a killer dinner tonight. I think I found my culinary calling: Middle Eastern food (or perhaps I just really like eating Middle Eastern food). For dinner, I made baba ghanouj, hummus, olive salad, and lamb chops marinated in a mint yogurt sauce. The star of the show was the baba ghanouj, mostly because I've never roasted eggplant before, and for my first time making it, it was delicious (and garlicky). Of course you can never go wrong with marinated lamb chops. I'm always a little conflicted about grass-fed lamb chops from New Zealand. Do they really need to come from that far away? Honestly, at $15.00 a pound, isn't there an American farmer that can clone a few sheep from New Zealand and start raising them in some field? I'll inquire next time I'm at Whole Foods or our local farmers market.
These past couple of weeks, I've really falling in love with my food processor. Passionate love. From cabbage to strawberries, I'm using it at least three times a week. It's allowed me to make dishes that I would have never attempted before such as falafel, which is on the menu for Wednesday. When I return to Baltimore and place it next to my Mixmaster, I'm not sure who will be my preferred sous chef: my gritty, powerful, seductive Cuisinart or my beautiful, refined, sensual Kitchen Aid.
 |
| Lamb, olive salad, pita bread, baba ghanouj, hummus and a relatively local Pinot. |
 |
| Olive salad - sorry for the bad photo, it looked much prettier in person |
 |
| Baba ghanouj and hummus. Even though the containers look like they are from Whole Foods, I did make them myself. Next time I'll take a photo of the disaster in the kitchen to prove they are homemade. |
No comments:
Post a Comment