Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music class

Today was music class with Jonah. I often wonder how much toddlers really benefit from music class. For 50 minutes, we sing songs, walk around in a circle, beat on drums, and shake some eggies. Eggies are little plastic eggs filled with sand that sound a little like a maraca I don't know who invented these little things, but coast to coast, children's music classes have these eggies. It's weird to think that just a few years ago I never knew these eggies existed, but now I'm practically appalled if they are not part of a children's music class.

Of the twelve toddlers in the class, at any one in time, a minimum of three kids are deliberately not participating; this number steadily increases as the class goes on. These delinquent toddlers are either screaming, playing with the infant that sits in a bouncy seat in the corner of the room (a younger sibling of a class participant), pounding on the classroom door (I guess to leave?), digging in their mother's purse (usually for a snack), or just wandering around the room.

Jonah's favorite part of the class is when we bang on the drums (they are really just little tambourines, but without the little jingling disks along the perimeter). More specifically, when we are done with our little drum rhythm, we all put our hands up. For some reason, Jonah loves putting his hands up at the end of each little rhythm. He gets this little pleased look on his face that is priceless. I guess that's really the point of the music class, I get a little enjoyment out of seeing Jonah do some cute little toddler things and a chance to see other mothers having the same little routine that I have. Beside that, I really don't think that Jonah is going to have any noticeable musical inclination after taking the class than if we just stayed home and banged on his glockenspiel.

Genna, in her beloved gymnastics leotard, helping me make dinner. She spread the risotto out on a baking sheet to cool. I then made little balls from the risotto and fried them. They were pretty good, but I think I liked the plain risotto better than the fried risotto balls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment