Wednesday, February 16, 2011

We shouldn't stay home

I was reminded today why I don't stay home and let Jonah just play in his playroom. I wanted a quiet morning at home today so I could "catch up" on a few things. Jonah can play with his trains while I get a few things done. Wrong. For some reason, when we're at home, Jonah does not let me do anything but watch him. I literally cannot do anything but sit on the couch or stand by the wall and watch him. If I try to read a book or magazine, he climbs on me and tries to take the book away from me. If I try to write something, he is constantly trying to grab my pencil. And I certainly better not use my computer. From the time I begin to open my laptop, to the time the screen turns on, Jonah can dash from any place in the room to my laptop and start banging on the keyboard or pulling on the screen. So, that leaves me two options: quietly *watch* Jonah play by himself or play with Jonah. He usually likes it when I play with him, but after a while, he tires of me reading the same books, setting up train track or playing with the Haba blocks together. I actually really like playing with his Haba blocks, so we just end up fighting over who gets to use the pink Gaude-looking pieces.

"You only gave me a tiny amount of water, mommy, but I can still try to make a mess with it."

So, tomorrow, Jonah and I will be back on the Seattle streets. Even if I don't feel like bundling up the boy, packing a snack, packing an emergency snack (never know when the boy instantly turns into a walking stomach), packing water and getting into the van, bus, or just walking somewhere, I know that it is still a better option than just sitting home, reading Curious George for the umpteenth time and watching Jonah try to see how many different kinds of magnetic wheeled objects he can pull around his train track.
Genna took a good nap today. Why do they look like such angels when they are sleeping?

Even though we didn't go anywhere, Jonah had plenty enough stimulation to take a good nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment