Today was the big Zoo Field Trip with Genna's school. Both Noah and I were chaperones and Jonah came along for the ride too. I'm really not a big fan of zoos. I'd choose a science center, garden, nature walk, or amusement park any day over the zoo. The only thing worse than a zoo is an aquarium; an aquarium is nothing more than a zoo with only one type of animal: fish. Yes, I know there's a fair number of "mammals" that swim around like whales, but I'm not going to get technical and differentiate between fish and the swimming mammals; they're all basically fish to me.
I think that Genna shares the same disinterest in zoos that I have. It takes an awful lot of work to get her to look for the animals. And then, when she does sees them, she doesn't get too excited. Rather, she is much more interested in the few pieces of playground equipment scattered around the zoo and jumping on and off the big rocks. At least I thought it was exciting to see a real Toucan Sam, and the yellow and blue dart frogs were the most fabulous frogs I've ever seen. I'm also hoping I don't have nightmares about the tarantulas that had bodies the size of a large lemon.
I think there's a little more hope for Jonah. He did seem genuinely interested in a few animals, particularly the baby monkeys swinging around.
So, even though the animals aren't exactly a headliner for Genna and me, we did very much enjoy the beautiful walk, warming up in the tropical rain forrest and counting the bird houses along the duck pond. We live quite close to the zoo, so we might become members. I hear there's a great indoor playspace that will keep the kids occupied for hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment