Genna got another "private lesson" at gymnastics today because the two other little girls in her 9:30 am class did not come. I keep waiting for Coach Amy to tell me how talented Genna is at gymnastics and that if she works hard she can be a world-class gymnast. Clearly all the other little Hot Shots are just jumping around, but Genna has something special. But Coach Amy never tells me that. Coach Amy just gives Genna her little dinosaur stamps on her legs and says, "Okay, everybody for the 10:30 Hot Shots class, come on in!" A mother can still dream.
After gymnastics, I decided we'd go to the local germ swap, also know as, the community center toddler gym. The gym is a full size basketball court and must have over a hundred kid toys including the little Flintstone-like plastic cars, sit & spins, push toys, tumbling mats, balls, scooters, slides, hula hoops (they really should not have those; the kids just end up whacking other kids when they use them), and the ever popular blow up bounce house. For a toddler and a 4-year old, this kind of place is as good as Disneyland. Genna is so overwhelmed and excited by all the toys that she wanted to test out every one, and she demands that I try all the toys with her. Jonah, on the other hand, is happy just exploring on his own, pushing and pulling the toys from one end of the gym to the other. As much as I like his independence, it is a little nerve-wracking to have to constantly look for him amidst the sea of uncoordinated little rug rats.
| The tow truck is one of the more popular toys |
After all that activity, I don't understand why Jonah didn't nap, but Genna did, and I promised her that we'd go out to eat for dinner if she took a good nap. So, after nap time, a small snack, and some painful Barney songs, I packed the kids in the van, picked up Noah and we were off to Red Mill Burgers. For having what must be the highest per capita number of health-obsessed vegetarians, there are an awful lot of burger joints in Seattle: Burgermaster, Kidd Valley Burgers, Blue Moon Burgers, Zippy's Giant Burgers, and the list goes on and on. Apparently Red Mill Burgers have won local and national fame (i.e. Oprah - I'm not an Oprah fan, but that's for another blog). Anyway, the burgers were good, but I'm not sure I'd rank them among the top burgers in the US. Nothing beats a Thurman burger in Columbus.
| The famous Seattle Red Mill Burger |
| We're all going to have tummy aches tonight! |
| "Mommy, you won't believe how many things there are on this floor to put in my mouth!" |
Buy the way - I made my Sicilian pasta yesterday and it was outstanding. Finally, a meal to pull me out of my culinary slump.
Please share - what is Sicilian pasta?
ReplyDeleteAhhh, Sicilian pasta - my new favorite recipe. It's anchovies, tomatoes, hot peppers, and a few capers. I'll make it for you when I get back!
ReplyDelete