I attempted to make my first loaf of bread at home after taking my bread class. I did several things wrong. The water was too hot. My space for resting was too hot. Not sure I let it rise long enough the second time. I forgot to spritz water in the oven before baking the loaf. And, I think I baked it too long. Oh yeah, the dough also stuck to the tea towel. The loaf is cooling right now, and it looks a bit small so it might be dense (bad "crumb" in technical terms). If this were a class I'd probably earn a D+ on my first loaf, unless it was an engineering class, and then I could just explain everything I did wrong and get partial credit.
If I have time, I'll try again tomorrow. I also learned I need to start a bit early. With all the proofing, resting, rising time, the bread takes quite a while to make. I'll try a few more time, but if I don't start producing good results soon, I'm going to lose interest in making bread and just end up forking out the $5.00 a loaf at the bakeries.
I wouldn't mind cooking and baking all day long, at least for a little while, before I bore of it. But, it is a little challenging watching the kids at the same time. Genna is good for an hour or so coloring, but Jonah can get into mischief. On more than one occasion, he's drawn all over the walls with a marker (thank goodness for washable markers). I've also found him at the computer pushing all sorts of buttons, rearranging icons, and pulling up email programs. Another time, he was quiet for a good 30 minutes, but I later found my grocery list and coupons shredded into about a hundred pieces.
 |
| My first loaf |
 |
| Genna likes to dress in layers. I was going to take a picture of every one of her outfits today; she usually wears between three and four outfits a day. Today was truly an exception. Only one outfit today: blue dress, white tights, orange over-shirt and pink fuzzy slippers. |
 |
| Genna loved taking all of our plates and putting the in the bussing bins at the cafe where we ate lunch today. Jonah looks quite pleased too. |
 |
| Noah's macchiato from this morning. This is my publication of his coffee blog. I'm not quite sure what to write about, other than it looks cute. |
No comments:
Post a Comment