Thursday, March 3, 2011

The second day after

This morning Genna told me that she didn't want to go to school. She loves her school, so I know that she still really felt lousy. The problem was that I had an appointment at the Toyota dealership to get an oil change, the Sienna spare tire recall remedy, and whatever else is needed for the 20,000 checkup. I probably would have cancelled the appointment, but it took me two weeks to get the appointment and I had three lights blinking at me on my dashboard (quite annoying). So, I packed up both Jonah and Genna with the promise that she could sleep in the waiting room of the Toyota service center.

Genna was quite good during the appointment. She drew a very nice picture for me on some coveted 11x17" paper. We found this paper when I was pretending to "scold" Jonah when he was opening all the cabinets in the waiting room, but I really was just using him to find out what was in all those cupboards to see if we could find some paper. There were crayons in the waiting room, but no paper. Fortunately, Jonah stumbled upon the paper storage cabinets.

Jonah was not as good while waiting, he didn't understand that after he found the paper, there was really no need to open and (slam) close all the cupboard doors. My apologies to the other folks in the waiting area. Jonah then was fascinated by the 2005 Monster truck video. Those things are so ridiculous and I wasn't crazy about Jonah watching them, except that he was actually quite and content for about 15 minutes.

Genna then wanted to go out to eat for chicken nuggets. Since she hadn't eaten anything in 2 days, I took her to Red Robin (since it was quite close). Mistake. Genna ate two bites of her chicken tenders and Jonah ate nothing of his spaghetti. Not a single bite. The melon that came with the spaghetti was the hardest, most under-ripe fruit I've ever been served at a restaurant. I even asked the waitress if the melon was good before I ordered it for Jonah. I would have sent it back, if Jonah hadn't spilled half his cup of milk on the floor, all of Genna's apples (which were equally as bad) and started trying to crawl out of his high chair. Though I did have to agree with him when he started screaming "MORE MILK" repeatedly at the top of his lungs. We asked for it ages ago, and the waitress obviously forgot. Thanks to Jonah, the waitress was reminded, along with everyone else at Red Robin, including the cooks at the back of the kitchen.

So, I choked down my grilled chicken sandwich, thinking the entire time that there are about 200 restaurants or cafes in Seattle that I'd love to experience, but instead I'm at Red Robin at my children's request. And, I'm the only one who is actually eating their lunch. I won't make that mistake again.

When we got home Genna fell asleep - on the floor. At least I'm pretty sure she fell asleep. She was in the same curled up position just inside her room when I went downstairs to roast my eggplant as she was 30 minutes later when I went back upstairs. Jonah did not nap. That makes for an ornery boy in the evening.

Genna still wiped out from the stomach flu. I moved her to my bed after she feel asleep on the floor.

Tonight also started out to be a milestone night for Jonah. I found a bedrail at a second-hand shop and set up Jonah's "big boy" bed. So, Genna and Jonah were each in a twin bed in Genna's room. That lasted about 10 minutes. Then the two kids were sleeping in the same bed. That lasted about 20 minutes. After Jonah got out of bed, walked over to the study and started playing Barney on the computer, we decided that Jonah had to spend a few more nights in his port-a-crib before he could sleep in a twin bed.


Two kids sharing a room! Unfortunately, not much sleep going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment