Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Men who knit

At the library today, Jonah ran up to a book that was on display and started saying, "Dog!" I responded with my normal "Yes, Jonah, you're right, that is a dog." But then the title of the book caught my eye, Men Who Knit and the Dogs Who Love Them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Men who knit? I've never in my life known a man who knits. Could there possibly be anything less masculine than knitting? I'm trying really hard to think of something. Can't think of anything. Oh wait... how about a man who knits sweaters for his dog.

After I stopped laughing at the title, I couldn't help but to pick up the book at look through it. The book was filled with patterns for men's sweaters, scarves and hats and matching dog sweaters. Even more intriguing were the sexy men and well-groomed dogs that were modeling the sweaters throughout the book. I'd love to know the demographics of the people who borrowed this book from the library.

Since I'm on the topic of men, I've noticed that there are less men in Seattle carting around kids, at playgrounds, and at kid's activities. I would have thought that in a progressive, liberal city like Seattle there would be more dads caring for the kids than in someplace like Baltimore. Not the case (at least from what I've seen). In Baltimore, on a weekday, a good 20% of parents at a playground or ballet class would be dads. In Seattle, I've only seen 5%-10%. And, the dads in Seattle seem to be a little more clueless. For example, one of the little girls in Genna's gymnastics class was complaining that her leotard was uncomfortable. Coach Amy had to tell her dad that her leotard was on backwards. Today, as Genna's ballet class was starting, I overheard a dad on his phone say, "yeah, I forgot the ballet shoes." First, they are ballet slippers, not shoes. Second, was he confessing to his wife or asking her what he should do? I'm not sure, I'm just glad he wasn't my husband.

Jonah is finally starting to say "motorcycle" instead of "mocaca."

Jonah - proud of his performance on the slide

The sandbox was flooded at the park today. Jonah was compelled to push every single toy he could find in the sandpool.

Genna took this picture and asked me if I would put it in my blog.

Matching dinosaur pj's. I'm not quite sure why Jonah is in a ninja pose.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled on your blog. Never known a man who knits? How offensive you are, and small your world must be. There are thousands of us (including the first people who ever knit, Norwegian men). Some of us are even masculine.

    ReplyDelete