Genna, on the other hand, has shown an interest in reading. At the library, I asked the librarian if there were any good phonics books or beginning reading books for my four-year old. After showing me several books, we both agreed that there really weren't any "phonics" or "help teach your child to read" books. Surprised? Yes, I was. In fact, I'm loving the irony that there aren't any good books to help you learn to read at the library. I settled for a few simple books that focus on particular letter sounds.
While Jonah was napping (thank goodness) today Genna and I read a book on the "long A." I had forgotten about "long" and "short" vowel sounds (this is where that phonics book I was looking for would have come in handy). When we read together, I start out by making Genna tell me all the letters in the word, then she has to make the sound of each letter, then she has to try to put all the sounds together and say the word. This tends to be a pretty effective method.
When we came across the word Kate, she first said, "K-A-T-E." Then, when I pointed to the "K," she said "ka;" when I pointed to the "a," she said "aye." When I pointed to the "t," she said "ta," and when I pointed to the "e," she didn't say anything. After a few seconds, she had to narrate, "Mommy, I'm doing it." She, of course, was being the silent "e." I do think it remarkable the she's learning to read. And, for as much as I complain about not working (at a "real" job), it was fun to see her start reading. That said, it is still more fun to watch Genna at gymnastics. Perhaps, it's just a little more entertaining to see her tumbling and jumping around, or perhaps it's because I know that all little girls will eventually learn to read, but not all little girls will be able to do a double flip over the vault.
| I just don't understand why the days we have to be somewhere (this time ballet), are the days that Jonah decides to take a long nap so I have to wake him up. |
| After ballet, the kids had some time at the playground. Jonah discovering his reflection on one of the play structures. |
| Genna about to slide down the pole. She still has her ballet skirt on. Ballet would not be nearly as much fun for her if she didn't get to wear the skirt. |
| "Mommy, I want to slide down the pole too!!" "No way, Jonah." |
No comments:
Post a Comment