Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Funny what my accomplishments are these days

Noah complained a bit yesterday about how long my blog was, so I'll make tonight's shorter. This works out well for me too because I haven't eaten dinner yet and the shorter the blog, the sooner I get to eat.

My big accomplishment for the day was parallel parking the van. Ever since Christmas, it's been a little tricky finding close street parking. I think several college students moved in to the neighborhood over the holidays, or they just brought their cars back with them when they returned for the winter semester.  Although we have a parking spot in the rear of our house, I avoid using it... see "Pondering, Feb 8." Anyway, I severely underestimated the size of the parking spot in relation to the length of my car. And, I was parking on the left side of the street which, strangely, is even more difficult. After only three iterations of backing up and pulling forward, I parked the car, got out and realized I had a mere five or six inches in both the front and back of the van. A remarkable accomplishment, especially for me. I'm typically a "don't even attempt it unless there's a good three feet extra."  At one point during my parking, I did hit something, but I'm pretty sure it was the curb, at least that's what I convinced myself. I would have taken a picture of it, but Jonah was hungry and fussing a bit. In hindsight, I should have taken a picture of my accomplishment. I need something to brag about to my parking lot/garage people back east, as well as inspiration for myself when I end up circling the neighborhood three or four times because there aren't any spots "big enough" for my parking capabilities.

After both kids did not nap, I packed them up and took a walk to where Noah works, hoping to convince him to leave work a little early to walk home with us. My plan worked.
Genna helping Noah out with some math at the whiteboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment