Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strawberries

Today was a rare weather day. It was overcast as usual, but the overcast clouds were very high, so we could still see the snow-capped mountains. The white snow on the mountains against a grey-white backdrop was quite beautiful and calming. If all overcast days here were like this I wouldn't mind the weather nearly as much.

It appears to be strawberry season here (finally), so the kids and I went strawberry picking. I was surprised how much the kids really liked it. Genna thought the berries were the best she's ever had, she even said "the strawberries from the farm are so much better than the ones from the supermarket!" So cute. Genna went apple-picking with me when we lived in Baltimore. Jonah did not come with us then, so Genna enjoyed playing the big sister and showing Jonah the ropes on a U-pick farm. "Jonah, I went apple-picking with mommy before, but you didn't come. We take the tractor out to the farm and put the strawberries in the basket. You are not supposed to eat the fruit until we take it home and wash it." Much to Genna's warnings, Jonah probably ate a pound of strawberries in the field. After seeing how much fun Jonah was having, Genna had to eat a few herself. I'm not quite sure what the etiquette is about eating in the strawberries in the field, but I'm sure we broke at least some of the rules.

Tractor ride out to the fields, baskets in hand

Jonah is already dirty

Beautiful strawberries

Active picking

Active eating

I think Genna is tossing a strawberry stem

"How do I get so messy?"

The kids were thrilled they had some playground equipment at the farm

Barn

This isn't a great photo, but in the background we could clearly see all the snow-capped mountains. It was so beautiful.
On my drive home, it was 75 degrees, and I just had to put the air conditioner on for a little while. Baltimore is really going to shock my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment