A few weeks ago I purchased a Groupon to get my hair cut and colored. Noah was able to spend the morning with Jonah while Genna was in school, so I went to get my hair done this morning. I've always been intrigued by salon culture. It always seems like I'm entering a world so different from my own when I walk into a salon. All the women have make up on, and sometimes the men do too. Hip music is playing in the background, the smell of hair product lingers, and the conversation is always amusing. This was a small salon, so I could easily eavesdrop on others conversations. One woman was talking about her chickens, ducks and pigs; she had a couple of pigs and now she has piglets (she was not a farmer, she was an environmentalist living in northern Seattle). Her stylist knows someone who also has a pig, but in his case, the pig is a pet instead of an eventual meal. Another customer was asking her stylist all about his hair: he has naturally dark brown hair, but wanted some
contrast, so now he's blonde. He had to color his hair four times to get it so light. There was talk about the bridge over Lake Washington that will soon have a toll. Apparently property values across the bridge have decreased due to the impending toll. My stylist was born and raised in Seattle. She likes going to all of the local festivals, taking the ferries across the Puget Sound. She doesn't like Tacoma, but admits that the aquarium and zoo are better. She had a small ring piercing on her lip. One of the other stylists was wearing a black leotard; I don't think men should wear leotards unless they are in the ballet. I'd have to say that the salon was pretty much the same as the salons I've experienced in Baltimore, but with a little Seattle flair. As expected in Seattle, the stylists were a little more casual and there was talk of the "organic" hair products used as well as a
holist approach to hair.
 |
| My new haircut & color |
 |
| Picture taken a few weeks ago for comparison |
In the afternoon we went to Genna's ballet class. We then came home, ate dinner, watched a little bit of Sesame Street (it's so fun to see some of the old episodes), and put the kids to bed. Tonight, as I was struggling to get Jonah to stay in his bed, I heard Genna crying quietly in her bed. I asked her why she was crying and she said that she didn't want Ladybug school to be over in five days. I knew this day would come. I knew that she would eventually understand that her school year would be over and she wouldn't be returning to the little school that she loves so much. It made me feel sad too because her school is very special and I don't think that anything can replace it. I just hope that she makes just as many new little friends in Baltimore and that she learns to like her new school.
No comments:
Post a Comment