Thursday, April 28, 2011

I finally did it

I finally created the loaf of bread I've been dreaming about. I'm not exactly sure what made the difference this time, but it worked. I used a different kind of flour, King Arthur. I used a 5-hour old starter and let the dough rise at a slightly cooler temperature and for slightly less time. I also shaped the dough sooner and placed it en couche longer. Too many variables, I know, but at least I've proven that I can make it work. Now the test will be if I can repeat it.


Isn't it beautiful?

Only kidding! This is just a mini-loaf I made from scraps that I decided to throw in the oven. 

Here's my real loaf

And here's dinner. Bread and pizza with arugula. 
I actually prefer to eat my bread cool now. I can taste so much more flavor when it's cool. And, it's so good with olive oil. Yum.

Jonah was a good little trouper today. I had to make a few very painful phone calls to get reimbursed for my medical spending account, which took all morning. Poor little Jonah had to paddle about the upstairs while I made my calls. I just hate the medical spending accounts. Every year I waste hours arguing with the folks there about why they should give me my money, that I deposited into my account. For some reason a credit card receipt that shows that I paid $75 to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center Emergency Room, that clearly shows it was for Jonah's Emergency room visit, doesn't constitute a good enough medical reason to give me back my money that I deposited in my medical spending account. Come on, does it really have to be this difficult?

Tomorrow is the BIG wedding. I'm actually surprised at how much time I've been wasting reading about the upcoming royal wedding. I doubt, however, that I will watch it live. First, I don't have a TV. There's one here stuffed away in the closet, but it is pre-digital TV so I'm not sure it will work. Also, it starts at 3am. I'm not sure how big a deal something has to be to get me out of bed at 3am, but a royal wedding certainly does not qualify. I will happily watch reruns on YouTube or Hulu. I really just want to see THE dress. Does Kate go formal, sexy, traditional, Diana-esque? I'd also like to see the handsome prince walk down the aisle, but unfortunately William is looking more and more like his father every day. Other than that, I suspect the wedding will be pretty boring as are so many weddings.

1 comment:

  1. Absolut fabelhaft! Fabuleux!! Super fabuloso!!

    Now THAT is some yummy looking bread.

    PS Funny funny mini loaf trickery - you got me...

    ReplyDelete