Monday, May 30, 2011

Beach, Seattle-style

I had been watching the weather forecast for days and NOAA kept showing sun and sixty-degree weather for Memorial Day, so I'd been looking forward to going to the beach. When I woke up and it was cloudy and the forecast suddenly changed to mostly cloudy and high of 59. I was very disappointed, but Noah talked me into putting on our fleece jackets, windbreakers and heading to the beach anyway. Despite a cloudy and cool morning, we still enjoyed walking along the beach, looking for seashells, and of course the kids enjoyed the small playground. It still makes me laugh when I see all the Seattleites wearing their sunglasses on an overcast day. Perhaps they are just trying to look cool.

It was surprisingly uncrowded at Golden Garden beach and there were several open grills and fire rings, so Noah made a quick trip to Safeway to get some charcoal and some food. We had really nice lunch cookout at the beach. As we were packing up to leave, the sun started coming out, so we decided to skip nap time and stay at the beach. The kids were so happy just to sit in the sand and dig holes. As the sun began to warm the air a bit, I took my windbreaker off and even took my shoes off.
Cool morning, but the kids didn't seem to mind

Seattle boy
It's amazing how much a 4-year-old can do with a stick

These beach toys were the best $7 I've ever spent at Target

Getting their feet wet

Apparently the water was cold

My shoes stayed on, so I can't describe how the water felt

Golden Garden beach as the clouds started clearing

Boy in the sun
In other news, I finally found my razor. In Baltimore, I would have been wearing shorts for a couple of months by now, so I'll have some extra work to get rid of my winter coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment