Saturday, May 14, 2011

Big day

Today we made our first big weekend trip. We drove up to Anacortes, took a ferry to Friday Harbor and went on a three-hour whale-watching cruise. We only saw the fins of a couple of minke whales, but we did see some sea lions and some bald eagles. I'm still very impressed with bald eagles; we saw a nest too and the size was amazing; our naturalist on the boat said they've measured one to be 12 ft wide by 8 ft deep. This was not the ideal day to realize that Noah had taken out the battery on my camera to charge it, so unfortunately I can't upload any photos. The good news is that we took our film camera, but it will probably be weeks before we get the prints back. After using that camera today, I forgot how nice it was. It's big and bulky, but it really does take the best photos.

The kids were pretty good today too. There was about an hour on the whale boat where Jonah got pretty fussy, but of course this was during the time he should have been napping. Genna had a few ornery moments, but considering she was a little sick and didn't get much sleep the night before, she was pretty good.

Honestly, I think the best part of the trip for me was the ferry rides (and the fact that Jonah didn't get swallowed by a whale). The boats were big enough where the kids could run around and the scenery was gorgeous. We traveled in and out of the San Juan islands, and the Olympic mountains were always within a clear view. We even had a few moment of sunshine. The weather was actually quite nice. There seemed to be a blanket of thick white clouds in the sky, but the visibility was quite far. Apparently this was a "bright" day for many of the local; as I looked around on the whale boat, about half of the people were wearing sunglasses.

When I finally get my photos printed and scanned, I'll upload them. I've gotten so spoiled with my instant pictures these days. I can't wait to tell my kids about using a film camera. They'll think I grew up in the dark ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment