Thursday, May 5, 2011

From scratch

I tend to correlate simple, primitive ingredients with good food. In fact, the more basic the ingredients, the more proud I am of my creations in the kitchen, well, at least when they turn out well. I'm not sure if the food really is better, or that it just took a little more time, therefore it must be better, no matter the taste. Either way, it gives me something to experiment with while Jonah naps and I have to be home.

Today, I made three pizzas "from scratch." This time my ingredients were even more basic than last time: flour, water, salt, olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil, pine nuts, and milk. Yes, milk. I even made my own mozzarella cheese this time. Since I made it from scratch, it must be better, right? Well, not really, I have to work on my mozzarella, but it was certainly as good as any packaged mozzarella. I think with a little practice and my new cheese thermometer, I can make a really good fresh cheese. I did use a few more ingredients: Parmesan cheese. Apparently the spores in the caves there in Parma, along with their little Italian cows (or sheep or whatever animal they're milking) are unique enough that nobody can replicate a true Parma cheese. So, I guess I'll keep buying some of my cheeses.
Spicy anchovy and onion pizza

Pesto, pine nut, and mozzarella


I wonder if I'll do all of this cooking when I return to Baltimore. I have so much less to do at home here in Seattle. I don't have any yard work, I left all the supplies for my hobbies in Baltimore, there are no big house projects to complete, and I haven't started looking for a job. I wonder if I'll get caught up in all these things again and a "from scratch" pizza will mean I assembled a Boboli crust, Hunts tomato sauce and some Whole Foods fresh mozzarella.

No comments:

Post a Comment