Friday, May 13, 2011

Highs and Lows:

Note: Today (THURSDAY) was the first day that I went to bed without posting my blog since it's inception. This was not my fault. Blogger was down due to "resolve some maintenance issue." Don't they know that there all three people out there reading my blog are waiting on pins and needles for my next post. Honestly. 

Noah and I often say that our average happiness is much lower since we've had kids, however the peaks are much higher. Today was an example of that. Genna's school went on a field trip today to Seattle's Center for Wooden Boats. I did not chaperone because I thought it would be nice to have a quiet day at home with Jonah. There's some paperwork that needed my attention as well as some phone calls that I had to make. Genna was very excited about her field trip this morning. It's been so much fun over the past several months to see Genna transition from "moderately aware" that she is going on a field trip to getting very excited about going on a field trip. I am truly sad that she won't be attending the Ladybug preschool next year; of all the highs and lows we've experienced in Seattle, Genna's school wins the award for the highest peak (with Seattle Gymnastics Academy coming in second).

All of my dreams to "get something done" this morning were shattered this morning by Jonah, who, albeit cute, had other plans for me. I finally resorted to playing Barney on my computer. But even that didn't work. After a few minutes of Barney, Jonah slammed my computer closed resulting in some sort of hard disk malfunction. I never got my hair appointment scheduled or our Olympic National Park cabin reservations made, or the laundry folded, but Jonah did manage to run off with my AAA card, get some crayon on the coffee table and put two stickers in his potty. 

We then went to Target to do some grocery shopping (and get out of the house). After we came home, Jonah took a good nap and Genna was so excited to tell me all about her morning of paddling a boat, making a small wooden boat and playing with the boats in the pond. Later, Genna had a playdate with Ruby. As Jonah was waking up from his nap, he was Mr. Grumpy and screamed at Genna as she walked in the room. But, as soon as Ruby walked in the room too, he gave her one of the biggest smiles I've seen and was a pleasant little boy for the next two hours. He loves Ruby. 

After Ruby went home and dinnertime approached, Genna and Jonah turned into little monsters. I was trying to make dinner and the kids were determined to demand my full attention. I got frustrated, and the kids just got more ornery (a low point in the day). Noah came home, made me a mojito (a high point of the day) and we had a nice dinner. Considering all of the day's excitement, the kids were quite good going to bed. Genna let me hold her like a baby and requested that she fall asleep in my arms. After about 30 seconds, we both realized that this would comfortable, so she settled with me just lying down with her in bed. I told her that I loved her and she told me that she loved me waaaaaaay more older than the world (she associates "older" with "bigger," so this means she loves me a lot). This was a high.

I guess each day has its highs and lows, but today's seemed much higher and much lower than most.
Some tickle time before bed

Where's your tickle spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment