I'm starting to get a little excited about moving back east. Today I made our cabin reservations for Olympic National Park, our last excursion before leaving Seattle. I wonder if I will miss Seattle. As we get closer to returning home, I find myself becoming more disgruntled with Seattle. We went to a playground this morning and we all had to wear our fleece jackets. I was very bothered by this and then began to wonder if it really is such a big deal. Will the warm weather and sunshine (that I've experienced just about every other Memorial Day of my life) really make me a happier person? I had hoped to go to the beach today, but it really isn't any fun on a damp, cloudy day. I sometimes feel like I'm being teased in Seattle; there are all of these fun things to do such as beautiful beaches, fun playgrounds, amazing views of snow-capped mountains, but they really just aren't that much fun on a cool, cloudy day. So, I'll have to think back to today when I'm in Baltimore in the sweltering heat, humidity, and no break between sunny days. Maybe I'll be longing for cool, damp Seattle. Perhaps the grass is always greener on the other side. Or, perhaps, I'll be so busy in my garden, getting Genna ready for her new preschool, and looking for a job that I won't even have time to think back about our time in Seattle.
So, besides bundling up for the weather today, we did have a nice day. The playground was fun, and we had some good family-time playing frisbee, except for when Jonah kept running off with the frisbee or to take some other little kid's ball. We went out for lunch; it was okay. Barely okay. Because it was late and everyone was very hungry, we ended up at a diner. The food was descent, but only that. The kids ate well and were good, but I would have much rather gone to a Thai, sushi, organic, vegetarian, or middle eastern restaurant. There are so many good restaurants in Seattle, that it just seems like a waste to go somewhere that is only
okay. We'll plan a little better next time so I don't have to eat tuna salad and dip my fruit salad (which turned out to be
mellon salad) in a low fat vanilla yogurt.
Fortunately, what lacked in lunch, was made up for in dessert. We went to a fabulous gelato place in Wallingford. Noah ordered pistachio. I love pistachios, but don't like pistachio ice cream because it never tastes like pistachios, it just has some weird flavor that barely resembles a nut. This was different - it really tasted like I was eating fresh pistachios whipped in some cream and sugar. It was amazing. We then explored Wallingford a little more before heading home. A good day in Seattle.
 |
| Genna building a structure |
 |
| Jonah building his structure |
 |
| Genna's finished product |
 |
| Jonah's final project (notice he strategically placed a block next to a boat) |
 |
| Diego before bedtime |
 |
| "Look Jonah, Diego saved the penguins!" |
No comments:
Post a Comment