Friday, May 20, 2011

Culinary update

Although I haven't blogged about it lately, I'm still trying to expand and hone my culinary skills on a daily basis. Every week, I make out our menu and try to include two new dishes that I've never made before and two or three dishes that I have made before and am trying to perfect. For the new dishes, I'm getting my recipes from books at the library. After checking out dozens of books, I've discovered that my best recipes come from books authored by individual chefs; often these chefs own a well-known restaurant. I've also discovered that finding great recipes is as much about the recipe as it is about knowing my own personal food preferences. I've discovered that I really like mediterranean and middle eastern food. Seventy-five percent of my favorite recipes include garlic; they also include large amounts basil, mint or cilantro. I still don't like to touch raw meat, so half of my dishes are vegetarian. However, I am forcing myself to be less afraid of meat; today I chopped apart a rack of lamb chops. I've even chopped up chicken bones.

Another thing that is surprising me is how much I actually like cooking. I find myself hoping the kids take good naps and play well together so that I can have more time in the kitchen. I've really grown to like making bread, but it does take some time. I've been very exited about my bread results lately, but so disappointed that Jonah hasn't been napping well so I can't crank out some more loaves. I'm so looking forward to expanding into olive bread, focaccia and challah.

Tonight we had lamb chops for dinner with my yogurt mint sauce. Noah grilled them and they were divine. I also made a spicy bell pepper and feta dip which turned out nicely, except that it was spicy enough that we didn't give it to the kids. I still love my food processor and use it several times per week. I'm beginning to wonder what life was like before my beloved Cuisinart.

A little bit of playground before dinner (while my lamb chops marinate)

Two days ago Jonah became comfortable going down slides by himself in the "sitting up" position. Previously, he had always wanted to hold my hand while he went down the slide. He no longer needs me to go down the slide, a little heartbreaking.

He made it to the bottom

This made me a bit nervous

I'm not sure what Noah is showing Jonah, but he sure seems interested in it

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing cook, Susie. I'm surprised I haven't grown to 250 pounds on this sabbatical. Must be my 20 minute walk to and from work!

    ReplyDelete